Actionable Ideas How Meetups Can Evolve When Forced Online Only
Today I recorded some thoughts regarding the challenges meetups are facing as they've been forced online and ideas how those challenges can be met.
Today I recorded some thoughts regarding the challenges meetups are facing as they’ve been forced online and ideas how those challenges can be met.
A quick summery:
- Challenge: Group participation is down.
- Idea: Embrace the smaller numbers; do things that you could not do with a larger crowd.
- Idea: Set expectations about required interactions; let people be passive when they want to.
- Idea: Do more, smaller, focused events instead of one big meeting a month.
- Idea: Create spaces for socializing outside events.
- Idea: Help connect people outside your group structure. Make it easy for members to discover each other on social or their personal website.
- Challenge: Hard to attract and retain new members.
- Idea: Make sure events are structured to help new people get familiar with the community (introductions, one-on-one help, etc.).
- Idea: Create a chain of events structured around a goal, like a book club or group project.
In some ways, it’s a great time to start a meetup:
- No more venue and food costs.
- Can promote and bring in people from outside your city.
- People are out of work and looking to improve themselves, give them a path to do so.
If you want to chat about your own group, I’d love to hear how things are going. See this post for more detail:
Thanks again, and good luck with your group!